On Thursday night, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers held another public information session to update residents on remediation efforts for the nuclear waste dump in Parks Township, Armstrong County.The meeting looked to address comments and concerns from residents regarding the status of the project and its effect on nearby residents, and they were informed that it’s finally moving forward after many setbacks.”The federal government has made a commitment to remove the materials that are in the 10 trenches,” said Colonel Nicholas Melin, commander of the Pittsburgh District, Army Corps of Engineers The Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corporation, or NUMEC, buried low-level radioactive waste on 44 acres at the intersection of Kiskimere Road and Route 66 in Parks Township.That was back in the 1960s and 70s. “It’s a big investment by the federal government, and it’s really to address this long-term concern here in the local area,” Melin said.Cleanup was planned to begin in 2002 after the property was added to the federal Formerly Utilized Sites and Remedial Action Program. The program is aimed at cleaning up toxic sites once used by the federal government.”It’s really us delivering on a commitment by the federal government to the people of western Pennsylvania,” Melin said.But since then, there have been a number of setbacks. First in 2011, the project was temporarily stopped after evidence was found that the army corps said were severe safety violations. Then in 2017, the Corps awarded a $350 million remediation contract to a technology corporation, but objections from other bidders held that contract up until 2019.Finally, in 2023, the Army Corps said it would need an additional $250 million to $500 million above the contract to complete the cleanup. “The most important thing for us is safety. Moving at a pace, removing this material that’s safe for the local people, that’s safe for our contractors who are on the ground removing material and ensure the safety of this area as we remove this material from here in western Pennsylvania out to its final destination in Utah,” Melin said.Cleanup is expected to begin either this fall or winter and last until 2032.

    On Thursday night, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers held another public information session to update residents on remediation efforts for the nuclear waste dump in Parks Township, Armstrong County.

    The meeting looked to address comments and concerns from residents regarding the status of the project and its effect on nearby residents, and they were informed that it’s finally moving forward after many setbacks.

    “The federal government has made a commitment to remove the materials that are in the 10 trenches,” said Colonel Nicholas Melin, commander of the Pittsburgh District, Army Corps of Engineers

    The Nuclear Materials and Equipment Corporation, or NUMEC, buried low-level radioactive waste on 44 acres at the intersection of Kiskimere Road and Route 66 in Parks Township.

    That was back in the 1960s and 70s.

    “It’s a big investment by the federal government, and it’s really to address this long-term concern here in the local area,” Melin said.

    Cleanup was planned to begin in 2002 after the property was added to the federal Formerly Utilized Sites and Remedial Action Program. The program is aimed at cleaning up toxic sites once used by the federal government.

    “It’s really us delivering on a commitment by the federal government to the people of western Pennsylvania,” Melin said.

    But since then, there have been a number of setbacks.

    First in 2011, the project was temporarily stopped after evidence was found that the army corps said were severe safety violations.

    Then in 2017, the Corps awarded a $350 million remediation contract to a technology corporation, but objections from other bidders held that contract up until 2019.

    Finally, in 2023, the Army Corps said it would need an additional $250 million to $500 million above the contract to complete the cleanup.

    “The most important thing for us is safety. Moving at a pace, removing this material that’s safe for the local people, that’s safe for our contractors who are on the ground removing material and ensure the safety of this area as we remove this material from here in western Pennsylvania out to its final destination in Utah,” Melin said.

    Cleanup is expected to begin either this fall or winter and last until 2032.

    Share.

    Comments are closed.