MONTREAL — The fifth and deciding game of the PWHL’s semifinals between the Montreal Victoire and Minnesota Frost will be played on Tuesday night, the league announced on Monday night.
The game, which was originally scheduled for Monday at 7 p.m. Eastern, was postponed by the league less than three hours before puck drop due to “player safety concerns related to illness.”
It is highly unusual for a playoff game in professional sports to be postponed. Outside the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, pro sports teams have historically played through illnesses — either shorthanded or using call-ups — in both the regular season and playoffs.
“The decision was made following consultation with medical personnel and in accordance with the league’s commitment to the health and wellbeing of players, fans, staff and all those involved in the competition,” the league said in a statement.
The league did not disclose the nature of the illness, nor did it reveal how many players were sick. However, the league said, “Medical assessment determined that the symptoms are not consistent with hantavirus,” the highly fatal but rare disease that has made headlines of late because of a cruise-ship outbreak.
According to a source briefed on the situation, the illness is currently contained to the Victoire, with nobody on the Frost sick as of Monday evening. Players who are sick have been separated from the team.
The Victoire traveled back from Minnesota on Saturday and held an optional practice on Sunday.
The league first became aware of the player illness on Monday and made the decision to postpone the game after numbers continued to increase.
It is the second time this season that a major women’s hockey game has been postponed due to illness. At the women’s Olympic hockey tournament in Milan, Team Canada’s opening game was postponed after members of Team Finland contracted norovirus.
The league’s original statement noted that a new date for Game 5 would be “announced as soon as medical guidance determines it is appropriate to resume play.” A league spokesperson confirmed to The Athletic that the guidance from medical professionals was that play could resume Tuesday.
According to the PWHL, all tickets for the game will be honored for the rescheduled date. The winner of the game will advance to the finals and face the Ottawa Charge, who defeated the Boston Fleet in the league’s other first-round matchup on Sunday night.
Earlier on Monday, the PWHL announced that Ottawa would host Games 3 and 4 of the Walter Cup Finals on May 18 and May 20 at the Canadian Tire Centre.
