The six passengers currently undergoing quarantine in Western Australia have had their hantavirus test results returned.

    Four Australian citizens, one permanent resident and a New Zealander are currently holed up in a quarantine facility in Bullsbrook after being evacuated from the MV Hondius cruise ship which was exposed to hantavirus, killing three people and infecting several others on board.

    The group of repatriated passengers were flown back to Australian soil after being flown from Spain to the Netherlands.

    Cruise Ship MV Hondius Docks In Tenerife

    The six passengers currently undergoing quarantine in Western Australia have had their hantavirus test results returned. Photo by Chris McGrath/Getty Images

    The six passengers landed at the RAAF Base Pearce near Perth on Friday, where they were whisked away into strict quarantine.

    They will spend three weeks in the facility, which Health Minister Mark Butler said was the “strongest” reaction in the world.

    “This is probably the strongest quarantine response of any country that is taking passengers back from this cruise ship,” he told the ABC last week.

    Australians Evacuated From Hantavirus-Hit Cruise Ship Arrive In Perth For Quarantine

    The group returned home on Tuesday. Photo by Paul Kane/Getty Images

    A Department of Health, Disability and Ageing spokesman confirmed the six passengers had undergone a blood test for the Andes virus – all of which have returned a negative result.

    “The Australian Government’s priority remains the health and safety of the community and the wellbeing of the repatriated passengers,” they told NewsWire.

    “All passengers from the MV Hondius remain well.

    “Their blood tests returned negative results for Andes virus, and none have developed symptoms since arriving in Australia.”

    HEALTH MINISTER MARK BUTLER MV HONDIUS QUARANTINE UPDATE PARLIAMENT HOUSE

    Health Minister Mark Butler said the quarantine arrangements were the strongest in the world. Picture: NewsWire / Martin Ollman.

    The spokesman said the passengers were being managed “under precautionary quarantine arrangements with appropriate clinical oversight”.

    “All individuals involved in the repatriation were managed under strict infection prevention and control protocols, including the use of personal protective equipment,” they said.

    The spokesman said there was no health risk for the Australian community.

    “Australia has no cases of hantavirus,” they said.

    Share.

    Comments are closed.